Monday, January 19, 2009

Arms!!!!! part 1

Ha, no updates for a week because I've been busy perfecting my joint substitution trick. Photo below is the prototype I first came up with. It was a little on the thin side, but had a large range of movement compared to the original polycap arm. New one looks slightly different from this.

PhotobucketPhotobucket



Essentially, my arm joint consists of credit card plastic, with the shiny stuff/magnetic bar sanded off. A shell is constructed, while the cavity is filled with epoxy putty. 2 sets of holes are made to allow a rod to pass through. The top uses the kit's own molded rod, while the bottom is simply inserted
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

The rod is a sprue from the plastic tree the parts were cut from. I'm using one of the ABS plastic trees from another kit, since I don't trust this kit's plastic. More on this later...


No comments: